Music Taking Students Beyond High School

Zoe Schrameyer, Writer

As young children, all students take a music class. For many, the enjoyment of music has taken them to continue music through high school, but very few have decided to pursue music as a career. Music is an extremely difficult and stressful path to follow. The lack of jobs and respect for the art has created a dying industry. A few people who have put their passion to work have come from our own South High School. But this would not be without the help of two amazing directors in the band department.

The Jazz I Band under the direction of Mr. Conger. Mr. Conger would meet with Jazz at 7 a.m., a time still continuing for the bands today.

For the Conger/Edson family, music is a natural gift that has been passed down for many generations, all within the walls of South High. From 1980 to 2000, the South High Band was under the direction of Mr. Eugene Conger. Mr. Conger always was interested in music but was not set on music as a career till later in college. He had initially taught younger students, however, when he started at South, there were many more challenges that came with teaching older students. Challenges that not only challenged him as a teacher, but helped him challenge the students to become better musicians at a higher level. One of those students was his own daughter, Ms. Carra-Lyn Conger (class of 1989).

Ms. Conger, the current band director at Farnsworth Middle School, described her experience with her father’s teaching,

“He was a wonderful teacher and inspired me to try to reach students of every age to impress on them how important music can be in education.  He had high expectations, and didn’t treat me any differently because I was his daughter.  Being able to start my career in the same district as my father was also amazing.  He was and still is a wonderful mentor.”

Being the granddaughters of retired Band Director, Mr. Eugene Conger, and daughters of Farnsworth Band Director, Ms. Carra-Lyn Conger, there can be lots of pressure to live up to the family name. Senior Lauren Edson explained that though she feels pressure to live up to high standards, her family has never forced her to pursue music,

They definitely shaped my passion for music though. I’ve been exposed to music ever since birth, really, and it is such a big part of my life and family and I don’t think I could have not done music. Being a part of the South High Music Department has been extremely special to me because my grandpa taught here and my mom was a part of it in high school too.”

Though her grandfather is no longer the band director at South, the department has been blessed to now be under the direction of Mr. Wade Heinen. Edson explained Heinen’s impact on her musical education,

“He is always so enthusiastic about music. His passion for it helps drive the passion of his students, including me. His energy towards music keeps band fun and makes me excited to go to class every day.”

Junior Daniel Rehm added,

Mr. Heinen directing Jazz II at the Spring Swing in 2014. Many involved in Jazz enjoy the upbeat music, some of which is arranged and composed by Mr. Heinen.

“Mr. Heinen also opened up an entirely new world to me by introducing me to jazz and allowing me to play in his Jazz 1 band. He’s really been super supportive in my musical experience, and I can’t say enough how much of an impact he’s had on me not only as a teacher, but as a friend and person.”

Without the help of Mr. Heinen, other students may not have been able to achieve their dreams, but taking a part in band, jazz band, pit band, orchestra, and solo ensemble has helped Mr. Jack Kolb-Williams nee Sabol-Williams (class of 2003) became the Executive Producer at The Garage. The Garage is a nonprofit music venue for all ages located in Burnsville, Minnesota.

“The opportunities that I received at South pushed me towards an amazing experience studying music education in college. An experience that pushed me to join a band, tour internationally, teach lessons, record albums, run music venues, build a recording studio, and most recently found a non-profit organization,” stated Kolb-Williams.

Music truly never leaves you and these individuals show that. Being under the influence of Mr. Conger and Mr. Heinen has opened the doors for many students to further their drive and passion for music. These two have definitely taught them how to “play the music, not the instrument”- Unknown.