Sign Up for the South High Lock In

Nujntxiag Steven Yang, Writer

After two years of absence, the annual South High lock in finally makes its return with a strong team behind the planning. The main focus that was needed to making this year’s lock-in operate smoothly was planning into staff aide as well as student attendance. One major influence as to the two years with the absence of the lock-in was the ability to find staff and faculty members to help run to lock in and acquire a well amount of student attendance. The idea that a lock in usually lasts the entire night sometimes going to 5 or even 6 AM in the morning is always a difficulty when it comes to asking for help from both students and staff. There are many factors that come into planning in order to make a lock in successful.

A student leader of the South lock-in, Lizeth Lara, comments on the planning of the lock-in as

“It takes a lot of planning and our biggest obstacle was getting enough people to agree to watch over 100 teenagers until 5 am. I would have been hesitant to chaperone too. One helpful aspect was that Mr. Formolo was on board from very early which made things easier for us but it really all comes down to having enough student interest and then having enough staff to help supervise the night”. Planning clearly took place with lots of effort from many people including students and staff. In order for the lock-in being hosted on May 18, there must be enough students for a program to work and smooth flowy. This year’s lock-in will consist of a wide variety of activities in which all students no matter who can and will be able to participate in. This lock-in is anticipating a basketball tournament, open gyms for many sports such as volleyball and dodgeball, a room dedicated to those who want to game head on with other gamers, swimming, and much more activities in the planning. Students who attend are not just restricted to one of these activities but are allowed to participate in them all and any more that are in the planning!

All students are able to sign up for the lock by getting slips during their homerooms or looking for a fellow student council member who can get you slips from a board member who is planning for the event. The payment is very costly at only $5 and payment is due on Wednesday, May 16, next week. It is crucial that every student who is interested in attending hand in their forms for the lock-in to make sure that it is put into final place. The South High lock-in will definitely be a blast and will provide excitement for those who wish to attend. Even those who have the slightest interest should fill out their forms and attend in order to gain more enjoyable experiences to their high school career.

Calculus teacher Mr. Gerstner, comments on the lock-in as,

“School lock in’s have always been an enjoyable experience for both staff and students. It is not just a chance to have fun with your friends and participate in activities but a chance to socialize with new people and create new friendships. I believe that every student should attend the lock-in being hosted by South for it will be an experience from high school that they will not forget”.

The lock-in is looking to be a great one this year and is opened to all students who are looking to have a great time with fellow students as well as to make new friends. This experience is especially valuable to the underclassmen who still have a few more years of high school for it will greatly increase their school spirit.

South High commons which will be used as the main pub for all the activities that will be taking place at the lock in on Friday, May 18th.