South Students Travel to France and China Over Spring Break

Senior Brandon Dyken along with Juniors Izayah Schoerner, Doriana Avdolli, and Lacy Jolitz take a group photo with members of the host families.

Angela Yang, Writer

This year, 14 French students attended France over spring break along with South High staff members French Teacher Angela Geiszler and English Teacher Tess Larson. Members of the South High community such as Principal Kevin Formolo, Junior Nicholas Vue, South High staff members Chinese Teacher Kai Mills and German Teacher Jill Krause were given the opportunity to travel to China over spring break as well.

The France trip group departed on March 20th and returned March 30th. They toured by feet, train, and metro. The group visited the Eiffel Tower, Notre Dame, the Louvre and more. There was a lot to look forward to and experience. Senior Brandon Dyken explains,

“The trip to France was amazing, with it being my first time in another country. The best place may have been Bordeaux because the host families were the best part of the whole trip! Before the trip, I was super nervous and still was since I had never left the country before. Being there l armed entirely new culture and it has changed the way I do somethings at home. We visited Paris as well and saw many of its beautiful sites such as the Eiffel Tower, Sacre Cœur, Notre Dame, the Louvre and a few more great places. I would encourage anyone and everyone to take a trip to France at some point in their lives!”

The trip to France gave the students a better understanding of the culture. The students discussed the trip with confidence and excitement. Every one of the students enjoyed their host families and the experience of living the culture in everyday life. It was a once in a lifetime experience. Senior Sabrina Maric states,

“Yes absolutely. It was only 10 days and I was afraid that I wouldn’t learn enough and not gain much from this trip. But that constant exposure was something that amazed me. I actively tried to understand everyone and everything I could to advance my speaking and comprehension abilities. It was a learning experience that one could not get in any other circumstance.”

Not only did participants learn about the culture, they learned more about themselves. Visiting another area unknown to your normal everyday life leads you to go out of your comfort zone in most if not all aspects of who you are.

“All of my expectations were definitely fulfilled. I had an amazing time. Also, my host sister and I do continue talking even after the trip. We are actually planning for her to come visit here in August. This trip also made me stronger in a sense. I’m usually a shy person at the beginning of meeting new people. Once I arrived I told myself the only way things wouldn’t be awkward is by communicating. That is what I did. Because of that, the family and I kicked it off right away and got along very well,” explains Junior Muhammed Herdic.

While others took a trip to France, others visited China. The ten-day trip consisted of visits to Shanghai, Suzhou, Nanjing, and Beijing. While in Shanghai, they visited The Bund waterfront which showcases various beautiful architectural buildings near an outstanding view. The group also visited famous canals and gardens in Suzhou. In Nanjing, the group visited Purple Mountain to which it received its name from the purple clouds seen at the top. Another area that the group took a trip to while in Nanjing is the Ming Tombs which is near Purple Mountain. The mausoleum began construction in 1381 and was completed in 1431 to which it holds significant meaning in regards to the Ming Dynasty. After traveling to various locations in Central China, the group traveled to Beijing, located in northern China, by a high-speed bullet train. While in Beijing, the group toured the Forbidden City, Temple of Heaven, Summer Palace and the Great Wall.

Junior Nicholas Vue states, “The trip was a great experience and I loved it. I made a lot of new friends and I got to see how it was to be in a different country and see how people live. Overall it was one of the greatest experiences in my life and I recommend people to take the chance to go to another country.”

Students were very eager to travel. Most of the students had stated that their expectations were met and were beyond satisfied with their experience. Also, the students have worked hard in class and outside of class but had been given the opportunity to experience what they’ve learned first hand.

“Students had the chance to practice their language skills while learning about old China and experiencing modern China,” says South High staff member Kai Mills.

There’s a lot to look forward to as these two trips are usually taken every two years. Mills explains,

“This is our third biannual trip. We try to make it better every year and change the sights a bit. Next time we hope to visit the Terra Cotta Warriors in Xian.”

Principal Kevin Formolo shares a photo of his visit at The Bund. Seen here are only some of the beautiful buildings near the river.

Trips such as these are very beneficial to the students. Students are able to display all that they’ve learned and hopefully take something from the experience. The student participants, South High staff members, and the South High community is beyond grateful for this opportunity.