Graduation Cap Decorations

An example of cap decors which gives the graduating student a way to express who they are.

Nujntxiag Steven Yang, Writer

As the end of the school year, winds down many students have already begun to take into consideration of what next school year has to bring. For the senior class, the end of the first semester means one step closer towards what many people would say the most anticipated of high school graduation. With graduation coming closer each day many seniors have been making preparations to be well prepared for life after graduation whether it be college, workforce, military service, or any other possible plan. One absolute necessity for the day of graduation is the famous cap and gown in which is a staple of any sort of graduation from years of schooling. With the concept of caps and gowns worn at graduation comes with many possibilities in expressing yourself mainly done by decorating the cap with something significant to each individual in which helped them to succeed in order to reach graduation. Cap decors are more commonly found within colleges and universities where students are given more flexibility but less common within high schools. Although there are some high schools in which allow the decoration of caps in a clean and appropriate way, the majority still rules as prohibiting the decoration of caps. With the concept of cap decors becoming more and more popular how would the idea correlate within South High?

South High Principal, Mr. Formolo, comments on the idea as,

“I am not a fan of cap decorations for graduation. I believe that it distracts from the ceremony and identity as a class. I know having an opportunity to decorate a cap will be an opportunity for individuals to set themselves apart and show their unique authenticity. Unfortunately, this becomes a management issue where each cap will have to be checked for appropriateness. In my opinion, graduation should be kept as classy and formal.” There is without a doubt a strong perspective against cap decorations, however, there is also an acknowledgment of those students who want to express themselves for graduation. There also is a major obstacle to management in where there would need to be a strict code for appropriateness for cap decorations.

An example of cap decors which gives the graduating student a way to express who they are. This image was taken from Latest Home Decor: http://geckogarys.com/graduation-cap-decoration-ideas-to-get/graduation-cap-decoration-autism/

One important aspect that can be used as an influencing factor is the perspectives of South High alumni who have graduated in previous years. There are many alumni who believe that seniors should have the freedom to decorate their caps but there are also some alumni who believe ways should stay as they are.

2017 South High graduate and one of the class valedictorians, Dartagnan Her,  comments on the idea as,

“I believe that as a person South High seniors should have the freedom to decorate their caps and gowns as they choose. As a graduate of the class of 2017, I paid for my own cap and gown. There should be a freedom in decorating caps to express who you are and what got you to where graduation. However, although I believe there should be this freedom, I strongly believe in class unity.” Her also explains how there is an importance in conforming to standards of wearing the same caps and gowns for it expresses a sign of unity and maturity. From this we can see that other perspectives feel that freedom should be given to graduating seniors in the concept of cap decors, However, there is still a strong belief in keeping the unity of graduation with caps and gowns that South High has kept for years.

There is definitely not just a want for freedom within the senior class of South High but also a sense from other perspectives such as South High alumni in the idea of allowing seniors the freedom of cap decors. Although with this in mind, there is also a sense of keeping the unity of South High by conforming to the same caps and gowns among all graduating seniors of South High. In concluding the talk of the idea of cap decors for graduating seniors of South High there is an obvious want for the freedom within the graduating class to be able to decorate their caps. However, with the long years of standards South High has kept all along will this idea eventually become a reality or will it stay behind the lines of actuality?