FINALS WEEK: A SURVIVAL GUIDE

Camila Trimberger, Writer

Twice a year students across the country find themselves in a state of extreme stress and confusion, otherwise known as finals week, but rather than trying to study, then giving up, I asked students at South High their study tactics for finals week, here are their answers.

Freshman Nolan BlomWillis

Nolan BlomWillis, Grade 9

How do you study for tests normally? Flashcards and study guides.

Any favorite study places? The library.

Are there any classes that are really easy/hard for you? How do you prepare for those?  Math is really easy while English is harder, but I don’t do anything special to study for them.

If you’re involved in school how do you manage your time? I use the calendar on my phone to stay organized.

Any words of encouragement for other Freshmen as you approach your first finals week? Take each final one at a time, like, don’t try to think about your math final in biology.

Sophomore Ian Zempel

Ian Zempel, Grade 10

How do you normally go about studying for finals/tests? I don’t really study all that much, rather, cram in study hall before the final.

Any favorite study places? Band room or home

Are there any classes that are really easy/hard for you? How do you prepare for those? I always wing it in math.Spanish is usually my most difficult class, but it doesn’t have a final thankfully.

If you’re involved in school, how do you manage your time? I try to do some work in study hall during the day, in the afternoon I have time for my activities and the rest of my homework.

Any tips for other students studying for finals? Relax, and say your prayers.

Junior Cassie Chrisman

Cassie Chrisman, Grade 11

How do you normally go about studying for finals/tests? I like to take notes and look at those.

Any favorite study places? I usually study in my room.

Are there any classes that are really easy/hard for you? How do you prepare for those? They’re all about the same, but I guess APUSH would be the hardest because of the workload. I usually spend some time every day looking over my notes and then cram the night before.

If you’re involved in school, how do you manage your time? I do my homework and activities instead of sleeping, any free time I have I’ll do my homework in too.

Any tips for other students studying for finals? Don’t cram and stress too much because it’ll fry your brain.

Senior Monika Pantha

Monika Pantha, Grade 12

How do you normally go about studying for finals/tests? Finals are hard to study for, I usually study through my notes and handouts are given to me by the teachers. In classes that I do have finals for they do give me review sheets and I fill those out to study and hope for the best.

Any favorite study places? I like to go to glas coffee house to study or in my bed by myself so I can be organized.

Are there any classes that are really easy/hard for you? How do you prepare for those?

I would say math is very hard for me to study because it has always been a difficult subject for me and I can’t think of a way to study. Classes with mostly vocab (sociology) are easy for me because I can study and memorize those using quizlet.

If you’re involved in school, how do you manage your time?I try to work head so that when finals week come, my focus is on school first. For example, I asked someone to take my shift from work so I can have the weekend to prepare.

Any tips for other students studying for finals? Study or take the L!

Hopefully some of these study tactics, and even if they’re not your style, any review is better than none. Good luck Redwings!