Advice to Freshmen

South High School alumna and first-year college student, Eden Slimmer, provides some advice she wishes she had received when entering high school. She hopes that newcomers “volunteer and get involved [early]!”

Daisy Mendiola, Writer

With the end of the first semester quickly approaching, many students scramble to turn in late assignments, prepare for games in their winter sport and even do last minute studying for upcoming tests and quizzes. For many, this is merely a routine they have completed time and time again, while for the current ninth grade class it was very well a new, and potentially hectic, experience. Being a freshman, in high school can be a difficult experience considering all the new changes. Many begin to look for jobs or join new clubs and sports, while others opt for focusing on their academic success. Regardless of their intention in school, there will certainly be obstacles they will face.

When asked about the hardest part regarding ninth grade year, sophomore Michael Goldstein stated that she had the most difficulty with “understanding the flex mod schedule [and] memorizing my schedule.” Many students can relate to feeling this way, as adjusting to a completely different system can be intimidating. The flex mod schedule can certainly be described as so, as it consists of 30 10-minute sections. However, many find that with time adjusting to the schedule can be quite easy. While some had a troublesome time navigating the scheduling system, others recall classes they believed were problematic.

Some of the most rigorous courses required for graduation at South High would be those in the English department. Every student dreads the simple, yet complex, assignments that are to be turned in. Senior Genita Luma remembers that “the hardest part of freshman year was all those MEAL paragraphs.”

Regardless of the daunting aspects regarding the first year of high school, many can reflect from their experience and learn lessons that will help guide their futures.

Junior Alyssa Thor reflected from her own experience and advises ninth graders to “never skip class because it’s not worth it.” With the flex mod schedule, deviant students are bound to find a way to skip a class section, however, it is these types of choices that make it very easy to fall into the wrong steps. Like nail-biting and not washing hands frequently, bad habits can be difficult to break. There is much more advice that can aid a freshman throughout his or her journey in high school.

Senior Brennan Lawrence definitely discovered a personal belief as he managed his way through high school. He stated, “be proud of what you do. I believe that if you aren’t proud of what you accomplish during high school and life during these 4 years, you will not be as productive later in life.” This is an aspect many incoming students tend to forget about. Many look at a “bad” grade and are embarrassed, instead of viewing said report as a measure of their success. Freshmen often overlook the fact that learning can only be improved through failure.

Working your hardest doesn’t necessarily guarantee desirable outcomes. This is why College Professor, Dr. Victor Schueller, reminds students that “it’s ok to be good enough.”

High School flashes by faster than many believe. Before the class of 2022 realizes it, they will be making preparations for their graduation date. It is vital to make informed and beneficial decisions this time frame in order to successfully finish high school. Freshman year is just as important as every other year.