South Men’s Volleyball?

South High Junior and Senior boys interchange sides in the annual powerbuff of the Homecoming week.

Nujntxiag Steven Yang, Writer

School has been back in session and summer has ended. Students have been thrilled and excited ever since school has reassembled for along with school, comes the season of fall sports. Another excitement that comes with fall is the competitive grind of the South’s girls volleyball season. What a time to be alive for South High’s girls volleyball athletes. However, there is no excitement and thrill to be found for South High boy athletes who wish to participate in volleyball for there is no sport solely dedicated to boy athletes who possess the burning passion and desire to compete in volleyball for South High.

There are many male athletes within South High who would wish to compete in volleyball at a high school level. Many of these athletes do not express their voices for they may feel embarrassed or be looked down upon. Several boys would be willing to participate in a boys volleyball team for South but do not have the opportunity to do so. Now the question comes into mind, what exactly will it take for even the idea of a boys volleyball team to enter the process of creation for South High.

South High’s Athletic Advisor Mr. Chris Hein explains it as,

“An expressed interest from at least 20 boys that want to make the full commitment. It would also take a financial commitment from the school board. I would estimate it would have to start out as a club team at the JV level.” Hein emphasized on the commitment that would be required from South boys that want to make that step of commitment. Hein, also commented that the reason there is not a team present for South is due to,

“Student enrollment numbers, funding, and [the fact that] there are no other boy teams in Sheboygan county.  Lastly, I am not sure exactly how many public schools in the state with around 1000 kids offer boys VB, but there aren’t many”. With this being said, Hein expressed that he would not fully rule out the idea of a boys volleyball team in the future for South, however, as of now, there is no current urgency to create a team within the Activities office.

Another question that comes to mind is the question of how would the South High girls volleyball connect with a possible boys volleyball team being created. With the possible addition of a boys volleyball team, how would this affect the ongoing competition of the girl’s volleyball team?

South High’s varsity girls volleyball captain Amy Pfile comments on the idea,

I definitely think there should be a boys volleyball team. Volleyball is a great sport and is something that’s very competitive and physically demanding and everybody should have the opportunity to play it”. The percent of confliction between both gender sports if a boys team ever comes into initiation is the bare minimum to none. There are numerous sports within South High that embraces both genders and neither have any conflicts that arise due to having a girls team as well as a boys team. To contrast this point as well, Pfile contributes the idea of playing through local volleyball organizations as,

“If a team is organized there’s the possibility of practicing here [at South] and competing against other club teams”. Pfile also explained how she used to play through local clubs and competed all over the state and how she believes this could be organized for a boys team through South High.

Another factor that would need to be greatly inputted is if boy athletes within South High would be truly devoted in competing for a boys volleyball team if and when it begins to process into the making.

Sophomore Cayee (Kurtis) Yang provides his statement as,

“Yes, I would be really committed to a boys volleyball team. I believe that lots of people are wishing it to be real someday.” Throughout South, there are plenty of male athletes willing to try out for a men’s volleyball team but trying out won’t be the only factor in creating a boys volleyball team. There needs to be signs of true commitment to the team if created. Another aspect that comes into play is that if a boys volleyball team is created will boy athletes truly take it as a serious competition or join as a joke.

Sophomore girls varsity volleyball player Ariana Methfessel comments her thoughts from an underclassmen perspective as,

“I think boy athletes have interests in volleyball and I can see some of them are very good. I think South could start with an after-school volleyball club and build from that”. The sport of volleyball is clearly amongst boys throughout South but severely differs from those who play for fun and those who are willing to play competitively. Methfessel also described how she believes if South creates a boys volleyball team without the proper preparation and idea of who is willing to play not just for fun or to joke around but as a competitive high school sport. Methfessel also brought up the idea of coaches and staff for a boys volleyball team for South. This is an important aspect in which must be taken into serious consideration by South as well regarding financial costs.

The idea of a boys volleyball team for South is unquestionably in the midst of the students of South but goes missing due to the very little talk or conversations being brought up within the school community. There are certainly boy athletes who possess the want within themselves to compete in a volleyball team at the high school level but will lose or have already lost that chance due to the idea that they were never given the chance, to begin with. While there are those who would undoubtedly commit to competing there are also those who would try to ruin the competition by simply failing to take the serious perspective of playing. The idea of a boys volleyball team for South is something that must be taken into serious thinking whether or not to create a team. If this controversial topic continues to go ignored countless of students will continue to never be given a chance at something so simple yet so passionate to those boy athletes who truly have a burning desire to compete in the sport of volleyball.