Senior Athletes Honored by Elks Club

The Elks Gridiron Committee, which was initially formed to recognize football players from North and Central, has expanded its recognition to all varsity athletes from North, South, Lutheran, Kohler and Christian. Over 300 athletes have received scholarships through the generosity of the committee.

Matthew Kittelson, Writer

With the school year coming to an end, the Sheboygan area high schools put aside any rivalries they may have and gathered together this past Sunday, May 7th, at the 59th Annual Elks Gridiron Committee Sports Banquet hosted by Sheboygan Elks Lodge #299. This banquet, which recognizes Senior Varsity letter winners from Sheboygan South, Sheboygan North, Sheboygan Lutheran, Kohler, and Sheboygan County Christian high schools, has been a unifying event for area athletes for years, bringing them together to eat a meal graciously donated by Elks Club members, listen to a distinguished speaker, and even receive scholarships. With about 20 scholarships worth around $15,000, the Elks Gridiron Committee has given out almost $275,000 throughout the years.

The night started out well for South High with the presentation of the North-South Football Game Trophy to Activities Director Mr. Chris Hein in celebration of the amazing comeback the Varsity Football Team made after trailing 21-6 at halftime. The celebration of the Football Team’s success was continued with the recognition of Senior Jacob Rice, the starting quarterback for the team, with his reception of the Dutch Thorton Award. This award, which is given to both a North and South football player, is presented to the player with the highest Grade Point Average on the team. With his acceptance of the award, Rice also receives a $500 scholarship.

After the Dutch Thorton Award, it quickly became apparent that the night was just getting started for South High athletes. The next South student to receive an award was volleyball and softball Varsity athlete Senior Kourtney Mangan. Mangan, who received the Robert L. Gutschow Award due to her dedication and performance on the softball diamond, received a $1,000 scholarship in recognition of her accomplishments over her four years of high school athletics.

Rounding out the night for South High athletes were the recipients of the Elks Sports Awards and Scholarship, each worth $1,000. These awards are given to athletes who were recommended for the award due to their performance both in practice and during competition. Senior Mason Prunick, a baseball, football, and track Varsity letter winner, was the first student South student of the night to win the award. He was later joined by Senior Jared Govek, who lettered in football, basketball, and golf, as well as by Senior Madisyn Riste, a letter winner in both dance and soccer. Riste is the first athlete to be recognized by the Elks Gridiron Committee for achievements in dance.

After the reception of well deserved awards and scholarships, the athletes had a chance listen to the guest speaker of the night, Mr. Gary Ellerson. Mr. Ellerson, a native of Monroe, Georgia, was a heavily recruited athlete who attended the University of Wisconsin-Madison and went on to be drafted by the Green Bay Packers as well as play for the Detroit Lions as a running back. Ellerson shared with the athletes his insights to choosing colleges, playing sports, as well as family life. Ellerson delivered his speech in a very entertaining and interactive style, often eliciting laughs from the athletes with his comedic anecdotes. Messages from his speech ranged from topics such as loving one’s parents to whether or not specialize in sports.

Upon the conclusion of Mr. Ellerson’s speech, final words of congratulations for hard work and achievements were given to all of the students from each of the schools, and the athletes were dismissed. Nights such as these are incredibly exciting to witness as area schools come together in mutual appreciation for the time, talent, and effort that goes into being a Varsity athlete. At the end of the night, there was no doubt that the Sheboygan area has dozens of talented athletes who are dedicated people inside and outside of their athletic activities. Congratulations to all award winners from South High as well as the numerous winners from North, Lutheran, Kohler, and Christian high schools!