Springing into Vacation

Kylie Mallmann, Writer

Third quarter is in its final moments, and students are craving to get out of school. Spring Break is a great time to go outside and be with friends without having to worry about waking up early the next day for school. Some people have extravagant plans for their break, while others simply bask in the light of having nothing to do. A lot of memories are made during Spring Break, whether people stay in state or go out of state. This year, almost one third of those that took the Spring Break survey are going out of state for their break.

Many times, people take advantage of the week off to have procedures done or go out of the state or country on vacation. Senior Cubanita Lopeztegui said she was spending her break,

“Laying in bed eating ice cream while I recover from a tonsillectomy.” A tonsillectomy is a tonsil removal, and Lopeztegui will be dealing with having her friends take care of her while she is loopy from anesthetics. Her break will not be the most fun, but will definitely be one to remember.

Freshman Joshua Kue is trying something new for his Spring Break.

Students count down the days until Spring Break by marking off the days that passed. This year, Spring Break is from the 24th of March to the 2nd of April

“I’m going to Comic-Con. I’m not dressing up; my cousin and I are going there just to see what it’s like and to see if we should go to another one in the future.” Comic-Con is a place full of adventure in the form of everything comics. People can dress up in costumes, and a lot of memories can be made from all of the people having the same interests.

Sometimes there is a certain activity that can finally be enjoyed for an extended period of time without the worry of falling behind on homework. Sophomore Helen Flynn said she was spending her break

“Skiing in Winter Park in Colorado.” Skiing is one of Flynn’s passions, and she tries to ski as much as she can during her free time.

Other times, people find things to do right here in Wisconsin. Senior Rodney Wiegele explained that the goal of his break was to,

“Hang out with friends for the first time in a long while.” He then explained,

“We usually talk over Xbox, but it will be nice to actually see them in person again.” The school year can be a very stressful time, and when a lot of homework is assigned every night, it is hard to actually spend time with friends, other than the occasional group study session. Spring Break is a wonderful time to finally kick back and relax with friends without having to do a single thing.

Junior Angela Yang will have a very memorable occasion this Spring Break.

“My cousin is getting married!” Yang proclaimed. Yang will get to watch a lovely ceremony and spend time with the people she loves, and will be able to not worry about time to do school work while she is having fun.

This Spring Break may not be the most exciting for some people, especially with some of the exciting things that they have done in past Spring Breaks. The favorite Spring Break memory of Junior Mitchell Gilipsky was

“Visiting Costa Rica and playing with monkeys.” Going anywhere out of the country is exciting, but getting to play with monkeys is an added bonus.

Sophomore Stephanie Ramirez loves spending time with her family, and her favorite Spring Break memory was,

“When I was in Texas and I went to the beach with my family, and then had a little cookout.” Being able to spend time with family can also be a rarity for students during the school year, as homework always takes so much time, or extra-curricular activities dominate the after school time, limiting students on the time they spend with their families. Spring Break is a great time to let loose with the family and bond.

Freshman Hailey VanStelle has travelled a lot during her Spring Breaks, and she stated,

I have a lot of good memories, but my favorites are going to Arizona with my best friend and her family, going to Florida (multiple times) with my cousin and her family, and visiting California.” VanStelle finally has the time to travel during Spring Break, and her and family and friends take advantage of the extra time to see as much as they can.

Spring Break is a time to let loose, spread your wings, and see where the wind takes you. Be open to the possibilities, and do not be afraid to try something new. A lot can happen in one week, especially if it is a week without school. Have a good week, and see you all soon!