Read Across America

Mackenzie Marver, Writer

Some of the most well known books written by Geisel that can be found in the South High Library

Reading is a custom found across the world. One of the first books printed was the Gutenberg Bible in Europe in 1455. That was just under 600 years ago. Reading is a way to communicate, spread information, and even for entertainment. One of the most influential authors of all-time is children’s books author, Theodor Seuss Geisel, also known as Dr. Seuss. He was well-known for his wacky and unique children’s books. To this day, young children are being introduced to his stories each day. Some of his most popular books include Cat in the Hat, Green Eggs and Ham, One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish, Fox and Sox, and over 40 others. A few of his stories became so popular, that they were made into movies 50 over more years later. Some may be recognizable- Cat in the Hat, The Lorax, How the Grinch Stole Christmas, and a few more.

Over 100 years later, we celebrate Dr. Seuss’ birthday, and his legacy on March 2 each year. This day is also known as Read Across America Day. This year, to celebrate, Redwings enrolled in Child Development II walked over to the Early Learning Center (ELC) to help kickstart the preschoolers’ love for reading. Ms. Pitlik-Plehn, the Child Development teacher, shared her views on the opportunity,

“Read Across America is the ideal opportunity to bring young children and high school students together to share a love of reading!  The high school students enrolled in Child Development II need opportunities to observe and work in early childhood education, and every year the ELC invites us into their classrooms to read as we celebrate Dr. Seuss’ birthday.  This year we read The Napping House, by Don and Audrey Wood. The ELC students are so receptive to having the high school students read to them. At first, most of the high school students are nervous about getting up in front of them so we practice how this is to be done in an early childhood classroom.  It’s a great opportunity for the older students to practice their developing skills, and see them grow when they discover how fun it is to share an awesome book with a child!”

Senior Autumn Brauer got to experience reading to the children,

“I fully enjoyed my experience reading at the Early Learning Center. At first, I was nervous to read to 4 year olds, which I know sounds ridiculous. And I soon realized how ridiculous I was. The kids were fully fascinated in the story and really didn’t care how well you did. As long as you read the book well enough, they were happy. I believe I fully benefitted from this experience because it has made me more comfortable reading and interacting with children, a skill that will help me with my future profession.”

Storytelling is gateway for children. It is beneficial in so many ways. Reading aloud to your students, or your own children teaches them to understand the world, relationships, increase their vocabulary, find meaning, and develop a love for the art of literature. Story times during a school day can serve as an outlet away from typical school work, it’s a fun alternative to traditional learning. As a parent, reading at night can be a way to bond after a long, busy day. Coming home and curling up with your child to a story or two is surely something to create a strong bond, create a trust and often times some of the first memories made.

Collaborating with the ELC was a very beneficial thing and a great way to celebrate Dr. Seuss and his legacy. It has helped students prepare for their future careers, gain a love and understanding for young children, and the preschoolers loved it.