Scholarships, Summer Jobs, and More

Going to college and getting a degree can land students in a job that they love. However, often times the debt that they have can feel like a heavy weight, constantly slowing them down and making them unhappy (photo from Libertarian Republic).

Michael Rank, Jr., Writer

The world is ever-changing and because of this, the job market is more competitive now than ever. With employers constantly searching for the most qualified and most talented person on the market, job applicants need to try and separate themselves from the pack in any way possible. The most common way that students do this is by obtaining a degree from a post-high school institution. This proves that the job applicant has more of an education and more training than the other applicants. There is one problem however, and that problem is money. The cost of earning a college degree, to some, outweighs the benefits of receiving it. Being in debt for years often scares potential students to the point where they go straight into the job market after high school, blowing past another four years of education.

According to personal research, 78.3% of students at South High, in all four grade levels, are nervous about having enough funds for college. This means that seniors are not the only students stressing about money for college. The stress and anxiety begins freshman year already. This can take a serious toll on the mind and body of a young student, who has more to focus on than something almost half a decade down the line.

When the students at South High were asked about their primary source of funds to pay for their tuition, the responses were rather interesting. Only 17% of students said that they planned on taking out student loans for college. The price of tuition is going to hit them with a harsh reality however because in fact, according to The Institute for College Access and Success, as of 2012, 71% of students graduated college with student loan debt. This means that around three out of every four students took out loans of some sort.

The two primary ways that current South students said that they would pay for school is from scholarships and savings. Students can begin to save their money by getting a job and putting some of that money away in a savings account.

If you are a senior without a job, do not fret. The most common way that students can save up some money last minute is by getting a summer job. Within the next two months, Nemak, Kohler, Bemis, and other factories will be hiring. These jobs often pay upwards of $15/hour, with the opportunity to work as many hours as the employee would like. This allows a student to accumulate large paychecks to help with tuition. Factories are not the only option either.

Sophomore Helen Flynn is,

“considering Caan’s Floral because I would get to be outside”. Summer jobs are not always mindless nor do they always involve grueling work. Sometimes they can be fun, like in this case.

Another way that South High students plan on paying for college is through scholarships. There was a recent March 3rd deadline that many students believe is the be all, end all of scholarship opportunities. However, that is not the case. There are still many scholarships available open to apply for–the Counseling Center’s Scholarship Wall is filled with opportunities for the Seniors. With the year winding down, many students are looking to sit back and relax.

According to Senior Zachary Kaffine,

“It is hard to find inspiration when writing the essays, and many times it feels like every little thing you do can kill your chances, so you get really stressed”.

It is important to fight through this stress however, and apply for as many scholarships as you can, because there is money to be had. Scholarship committees are passionate about young students continuing their education, and they are generous with their money because of this.

In a job market that is more competitive than ever, it is important to create separation from the playing field. Do not let the price of a college degree deter you from pursuing your education. There are always ways to help pay for college, they just have to be found. So go get that degree, and get the job you have always wanted!