Redwing Pride Profile: Jeremias Meier

Matthew Kittelson, Writer

Now is the time of year where school starts to get monotonous; Senioritis is in full swing, Juniors are finally done with the ACT, and everybody is desperately awaiting Spring Break. Students all seem to just be going through the actions, conducting their daily lives by the habits that have become almost second nature to them throughout the school year. However, this monotony was recently broken up by the arrival of a new foreign exchange student: Senior Jeremias Meier.

Name: Jeremias Meier

Pronunciation: Hair-uh-mee-us Mayor

Nickname: Jere

Pronunciation: Hair-aye

Age: 17

Hometown: Cordoba, Argentina

Siblings Back Home: Two sisters: Victoria (13 years old) and Renata (8 years old)

Host Family: Kittelsons

Pets: 1 Dog: Felipe; 2 Cats: Nina and Carlota

Favorite Hobby: Reading

Favorite School Subject: English

Favorite Music Genre/Artist: Rap/Eminem

Favorite Movie: Inglorious Basterds

Favorite TV Show: How I Met Your Mother

Favorite American Food: Burgers

Fun Fact About Yourself: I’m the only Argentinian that is bad at soccer. I’m also a Swiss Citizen.

Did you do sports at home? I used to play baseball, but I will run track here.

How did you learn English? For eight years I went to an out of school academy. I would go twice a week for two hours a day.

What are you looking forward to here in America? See the American lifestyle up close, not just as a tourist, but by actually living the culture.

What place would you like to visit while in America? Washington, D.C.

What are some specific things you want to do while in America? Visit colleges, go to an American shopping mall, and meet people in general.

What were your first impressions about South? The people are friendly and the way the classes are displayed on the schedule are surprisingly similar to my school back in Argentina.

What kind of stereotypes do Argentinians have about Americans? Students in high school use lockers, Americans go to bed early, sports in general are very popular, and that there are a lot of Spanish speaking people.

What made you want to study abroad? I wanted to have the experience of studying in the U.S.

Plans for After High School: I want to go to law school here in America, and then practice law here as well.