South’s Athletes Decline in Number

Varsity girls getting ready during their last practice before the North/South game.

Mackenzie Marver, Writer

As a young athlete, I could not wait for high school sports. It all seemed so much bigger than me, like high school would be the peak of my life. Once high school finally hit, I realized that it wasn’t reality.

In recent years, the number of South High athletes has dropped. Whether the drop in numbers was significant or not, teams are losing value, and high school athletics are being deprived of meaning. Where has the meaning gone? Athletic Director Chris Hein shared his insight.

“When I think about girls’ basketball there is a trend statewide. Numbers in girls’ basketball are down statewide. I think part of that is due to the junior programs, and kids getting cut or not playing a lot.”

If the athletes aren’t being valued at a younger age, they then believe they aren’t good enough and in turn don’t continue in the sports the have a passion for. Skill is something that can be worked on and improved, but heart is something you either have or you don’t. Hein also said,

“I think another big thing for some sports is that club is taking over. Kids want to focus on just volleyball, so now they’re not going to go out for basketball.”  

Hein also mentioned the conference South is a part of. For example, Preble has 1,100 more kids than we do, so in order to be successful, we have to go above and beyond the hard work Redwings put in already in order to beat them.

Junior Tessa Priebe explained a few things about her experience with high school sports. Priebe has played volleyball since she was in fifth grade, but she decided to go another way starting her junior year.

Priebe shared,

“I started playing volleyball in 5th grade, and was swimming on a club team for as long as I can remember. I started out at the YMCA on their club team. I stopped swimming in 7th grade to concentrate on volleyball, and I played volleyball Freshman and Sophomore year. I regretted not continuing swim. I lost my passion for volleyball, and would have gone further in swim then volleyball. I’m really happy with my decision and I love swimming!”

Junior Blake Posewitz also talked about why he decided to not go out for basketball after his freshman year.

“I wanted to focus on school because I realized that it was a lot more important than sports. Basketball was a year round sport and I couldn’t be able to give 100% to the team because I enjoyed other things too. Not playing basketball has allowed me to raise my grades, find new hobbies and has given me time to think about my future more seriously.”

There is no clear answer to this question for why the numbers in certain sports are declining. Our numbers are down, but our spirits are up, Go Redwings!