Service at South High

At the end of the service portion of South High’s day, a group shot was taken to memorialize the event.

Mackenzie Linger, Writer

The best gifts this holiday season are truly those you do not receive. South High School got in the giving spirit by offering their students a wide variety of service projects to participate in.

Sophomores Karl Mattern and Lars Krugel make cards to send to veterans wishing them a “Happy Holidays” and thanking them for their service.

These activities included bell ringing, decorating Meals on Wheels bags, writing letters to veterans, making tie blankets, moving the main office to the new location in the Technology Education hallway, volunteering at other schools around the district, and many more. Principal Michael Trimberger reflected on the day’s events,

“Initially when this service day was in the planning stages I was nervous. I was unsure of how the students would react and if they would even participate. After today’s events, I was reassured of the integrity of South High. As I stopped by the various sites I noticed the students were willingly eager to help and they took pride in what they were doing.”

Multiple students chose to help at sites off campus around the community. Senior Isabelle Barrington spent time at Sheridan Elementary School in a second grade classroom.

“I never realized that even the smallest things could make an impact on someone’s life. I read to the second grade class I was in and the children were beyond excited to have me there.” To the younger students, high schoolers are considered adults. They are role models for the adolescents of the community. Having students from South High simply in the classrooms of the district’s elementary and middle schools can have a positive impact on the community. Another student, Junior Payton Steinhardt, contributed at James Madison Elementary School.

“I was able to help special education students with holiday art projects. Each student’s interests were reflected in the art they created. Even with the short amount of time I spent with them, I really felt like I got to know them and appreciate each individual.”

The underclassmen at South were provided opportunities to help without having to go off campus. One student was able to help directly better South High.

“I was able to clean out the tunnels and it was a really great experience. I felt as if I was going back in time, seeing all the retro apparel. I’m glad that South will have more storage space and that others can have the opportunity to reminisce on their high school apparel.” described Sophomore Alonzo Backhaus.

Another student was able to participate on campus, but make an impact in the community. Freshman Lindsey Horen made tie blankets for Project Linus. Project Linus is an organization that originated in Missouri and has grown nationwide. The “blanketeers” make and donate the blankets so that they can be distributed to local children in hospitals, shelters, social service agencies, or anywhere that a child may be in need of a big “hug”.

Mrs. Sandra Rice and Freshman Isabel Gosse make tie blankets for Project Linus, a nonprofit organization that provides blankets to children who have gone through trauma.

“I am already a crafty person and having the chance to do something I enjoy for a good cause was amazing. I picture the children getting their new blankets and my heart is filled with warmth and joy.” recalled Horen.

What better way to spread holiday cheer? The spirit of giving is found within each of these students. Every student is proud of what they have accomplished and administration even more so with their students. South High School is taking amazing strides and leading by example for other schools.