Challenge Day comes back to South

The group picture taken of all Challenge Day participants at South High School on Monday, December 5th. Participants held up the Challenge Day hand sign.

Hallie Thuene, Writer

Representative Leah Finity talks to the group of participants early on Tuesday, December 6th about the goals and guidelines of Challenge Day.

On Monday, December 5 and Tuesday, December 6, a selection of students and staff  were given the opportunity to participate in a day-long Challenge Day program. The program was brought to South High School by Challenge Day representatives Leah Finity and Romeo Marquez, Jr.

Challenge Day is, for most, a day unlike any other. The day is not only fun and upbeat with activities that help break the ice between participants, but also eye-opening and inspiring. The Challenge Day program has been introduced in schools all around the world, and serves to make participants feel more valued, connected, and empowered in their everyday life for more than 30 years.

One of the signs hung on the wall at Challenge Day, describing the quote that the organization uses to motivate students to take action in their school and community.

Many students admitted that before the day started, they were skeptical of the experience and how it would all play out–no one really knew what they were about to take part in.

“At first I was kind of nervous about what we would be doing,” admitted Sophomore Koryez Scales. Fellow Sophomore Robbi Collins agreed, explaining that her expectations of what the day would be like were wrong. She stated,

“Before I went I thought it would be way different, but I had an outstanding time. Hearing stories about others had a big impact on me. It warmed my heart to know that many other people have gone through some of the same things I have. It feels good to know that even on my worst days there are people who love and care about me.” Although there were many mixed emotions before Challenge Day began, it is safe to say that by the end, participants were reassured and satisfied with their decision to take part in this day.

Students had a few favorites when it came to the best activities throughout the day. These favorites included the Cross the Line activity, having time to speak in small “family” groups, and for some, the lighter things; dance parties, hugs, and games. The Cross-the-Line activity conducted during Challenge Day was designed to allow participants to open up about the many forms of oppression they may experience in their lives and show them that they are not alone in the most difficult times. Participants were read a statement and if it applied to them, they crossed over to a line, away from the rest of the group. They were then asked to turn around and face those who did not cross. Those who didn’t cross showed their support by holding up the Challenge Day hand sign, meaning positive things like “I love you”, “I see you”, and “I respect you”. Junior Shouacua Xiong described this activity as her favorite, stating,

“It left everyone in a very vulnerable light and that’s hard to do to a crowd of strangers. In the end, we all became a family.” The activity was emotional but overall comforting. Everyone crossing the line was able to witness others crossing with them, showing them that they were not alone. It also allowed them to see the amount of people at school who were there supporting them from the other side of the line. The overall love and support shown during this exercise made it a favorite for many as it united everyone participating.

Staff member Mr. Erik Wagner leaps into Sophomore Jack Wiroll’s arms, acting as his long lost best friend during an activity.

Another part of the day that a multitude of students enjoyed was the time given to talk in what were called “small family groups”. These groups were random, generally consisting of four or five students and one adult. All members of the group were welcome to talk about whatever they wanted in the time given. In most cases, stories and conversations got very emotional. There were, however, times in these groups in which more light-hearted discussions were to be had. Students admitted to loving this time regardless of the type of conversation. Senior Madisyn Riste is just one example of this. She explained,

“I got to talk to people I’ve never really talked to before about random things and heavy things and it was honestly refreshing to hear that everyone has problems.” These groups definitely made everyone feel welcome to open up, as if they were truly part of a small family.

Other upbeat activities in the day were enjoyed by many people. There was a giant beach ball volleyball game between students, as staff and other adults cheered on the teams. The adults had to create a halftime show for their team and even participate in a dance battle. The students thoroughly enjoyed watching this, but the fun didn’t stop there. More games were played that involved dancing and unique partner interactions. These were designed to help participants get to know each other and meet new people that they may have never spoken to in the group. Some of these games warmed participants up to the idea of hugging more. This idea was urged all day and hugs became more and more common and enjoyable for almost everyone involved.

As the day came to a close, there was time for participants to reflect on the activities of the day and create challenges for themselves and others.

“I’ve always been that person who has really only cared for himself, but after [Challenge Day], I definitely challenge myself to be more empathetic towards others and appreciate the small things in life,” stated Senior Andrew Sessler, providing a great example of a practical Challenge Day goal. Another challenge was proposed by Sophomore Aricel Mendoza. She explained,

“I am challenging myself to try not to judge others solely on their image and to remember that everyone has their own stories and experiences.” These were both similar goals to what other participants seemed to have after participating in the eye-opening day.

Challenge day, overall, was an extremely beneficial experience for those who were able to participate.  An overwhelming 90.5% of students surveyed said that that would enjoy participating in Challenge Day again after experiencing it once. Those who participated in this day left feeling inspired and more connected to the rest of their school. To find out more about Challenge Day, you can visit their website at: http://www.challengeday.org.