And So It Begins…

The Senior Class sits in wait for their last first day of school pep rally. The pep rally had lots of games for the students to participate in.

Natalie Binversie, Editor in Chief

Speaking of the first day of school is enough to strike dread into the hearts of most students, but that dread is quickly overshadowed by other emotions. Excitement and the smell of new school supplies quickly fills the air at South High as students return to fill their lockers and prepare for the new school year–everyone is one year older and ready to be moving up in the world.

“This school year, I’m most looking forward to coming to all the games and dances and feeling like a part of the Redwing community,” said Freshman Chloe Renzelmann. New to South, Renzelmann is just entering into her four years of Redwing activities. On the other end of the spectrum, Seniors are beginning their final year as South High Redwings.

“I’m excited to be a senior, but also scared. I remember being a freshman in my Red Team group with a bunch of new classmates that I didn’t know yet and now I’m a Red Team leader with kids who are now freshmen. Time has gone by too fast!” exclaimed Senior Zoe Schrameyer.

Sophomores and Juniors are neither just beginning nor finishing their time at South, and are finding the things that matter most to them in high school.

“I am really looking forward to playing in band. I enjoy playing at football and basketball games,” stated Sophomore Helen Flynn, “We have some awesome music picked out for homecoming so it should be fun.” Homecoming, South’s first big event of the year, takes place in one month from October 3 to October 8. With only a month to prepare, the band is already getting their halftime show ready for the Homecoming Game on October 7. Band students have come in before school starts to practice, and will continue to iron out any problems in their performance as the school year kicks off.

Athletes have also been working during the summer, but the school year adds a new dynamic to their season.

“The thing I’m looking forward to the most for my junior year is starting a new sport (cross country), coming back to basketball, and continuing softball,” explained Junior Ashley Weimann, “On top of that, I’m excited for the classes I have signed up for and getting to see some friends I have lost touch with over the summer.”

As the 2016-2017 school year begins, friends will come back together, sports seasons will get fully underway, and every student will plan for their next nine months at South High.

“This year, I’ll be trying to attend many events with my friends and trying to work more with my counselor to help me better prepare for college and beyond,” said Senior Evan Horen, “I’m looking forward to enjoying my senior year as well as getting ready for my future.”