The Cost of Being Involved

The Cost of Being Involved

Natalie Binversie, Editor in Chief

Throughout our high school career, we are told to get involved in clubs, sports, and other extracurricular activities. We are also told that we should be getting 8 or more hours of sleep per night, balance our homework load, get a job to help pay for a car and/or college, and spend time with our families and friends. However, there are only so many hours in the day to actually do everything we are expected to do. Junior Matthew Kittelson estimated that he spends 11 hours per day at school when his trianglesports are in season. If he arrives at school at 7:30 a.m. each morning, that leaves him with only about 12 hours to do his homework, sleep (which should take up 8 of those hours), and potentially work as well.

“During my basketball and track seasons I spend more time at school than with my own family,“ stated Junior Isabelle Barrington. Time is not the only thing that involved students tend to have a shortage of–money is necessary in order to participate in things during and after school.

“Spirit shirts and other things like that really add up,” stated Junior Autumn Brauer, “I feel like I’m constantly asking my parents for money.” Even though Brauer has a job, her paycheck might not always be enough to cover everything she needs, leaving her to ask her parents to help her out. Band students, specifically, have a bit of a predicament when finding ways to pay for trips and new supplies.

“We fundraise,” explained Junior Erin Campe, “but most often our parents and other family members are the ones that are buying whatever we’re selling. There are a ton of fundraisers, but it’s not very cheap if you have to keep buying them year after year.” Band kids also have to buy reeds (which can cost $45 per box) and any maintenance necessary for their instruments. Athletes are left with their own problems monetarily, as much of their personal equipment has to be purchased by the individual. The boys’ golf team has to buy their own golf clubs, and both swim teams have to purchase goggles and practice suits. The baseball and softball teams have to buy their own gloves and cleats, in addition to batting gloves or a bat if they wish. Track athletes have to purchase their own spikes and shoes, which can cost upwards of $100. Basketball players have to buy their shoes, which can cost over $200, as well as ankle braces, which cost about $85 each. These braces, though not required, do come highly recommended for basketball and volleyball players. Time and money are in high demand in the lives of high school students, and high school is a constant battle for more of both of them.

“Extracurriculars are fun and they look good on college applications. The costs and hardwork are worth it in the end” exclaimed Freshman Samuel Kaffine. Of course, no amount of money can replace the experiences of participating in an extracurricular at South High.

Photo from theodysseyonline.com