What was Left Unsaid -By the Unheard

Screenshot taken of Sheboygan Press Article “South’s Flex Mod gets mixed reviews

Jackson Martinez

SHEBOYGAN- South students raise concern and question the definitiveness of the article “South’s Flex Mod Gets Mixed Reviews, More F’s” published on May 12th, 2016 by the Sheboygan Press. With a little over 1,000 students apart of the student body, there is logical reasoning as to why there may be mixed reviews on the new scheduling change that took away the 7-period day and replaced it with a 30, 15 minute mod schedule.

Press photo
Screenshot taken of Sheboygan Press Article “South’s Flex Mod gets mixed reviews, more F’s” published on May 12th 2016. An ‘X’ through the screenshot symbolizes the disagreement between the student body and the content of the article.

From the very first day of freshman year, students are taught to show pride in their school and to truly believe that they are a part of the best school in the universe. When an article is published bashing the new scheduling system many are so passionate about and giving the school a bad reputation, it creates an uproar leaving students to defend their school. The day the article was published, the girls’ Varsity Soccer team were headed to an away game at Bayport when the article was being shared on social media. Members of the team were disappointed and frustrated with the message the article portrayed. Junior Emily Paltzer stated,   “The focal point of the article was completely biased, who is to voice their opinion on Flex Mod without hearing from the voices of students going through it day to day. As student athletes, we feel that the opportunities that were given to us were made possible because of Flex Mod and would not have been possible with the 7-period day.” Many of Paltzer’s teammates believed that they were not represented properly and wish they were given the chance to be interviewed to paint a larger picture of the new scheduling system. With an article being published with such a negative connotation, and after reading the article finding the main focal point was the F’s Flex Mod has brought, one who has nothing but success with the system has the right to be upset that their successes were not looked at more closely. After speaking with many individuals who see Flex Mod as a crucial successor in their life, the statement of “more F’s” becomes almost hard to believe. Sheboygan South is known for the career pathways they create for their students. Whether it would be the classes they put in students schedules, or internships and jobs the school helps students land to give them an advantage in their future, South has always been there for students with a helping hand. Senior Erin Gamb touched on this statement saying, “Flex Mod has allowed me to move my classes around in my day so I am able to learn outside the school walls. 3 days a week, I am able to go to work, as a Certified Nursing Assistant, and learn in a real work environment. Without Flex Mod, I wouldn’t have been able to take the classes I wanted to this year and work. It would have been one or the other. A linear schedule would have allowed me to only take 2 classes, and not work as often as I have. But with Flex Mod, I can work and take 6 classes still. I don’t fall behind because of the study hall time, and I have plenty of time to see teachers if I miss anything. I’m so glad I’ve been able to take this step in my future.” Not only did Gamb speak about how the scheduling system has became an advantage for her, but other students as well, “People are very close-minded about the opportunities that Flex Mod really has for students, Whether it’s YTY, Youth Apprenticeship, or Youth Options, Flex Mod allows for flexibility in schedules so students are able to do their best and learn in different environments.” Youth Tutoring Youth Coordinator Robin Stark explained that this year YTY had 56 students from South, which is the most in his five years of coordinating the high school tutors. Not only has Flex Mod opened many new doors to students to get a head start on their future, but also has given students more time to ensure most of their homework can get done throughout the day, leaving more room for activities at night such as athletics. Like members of the girls’ soccer team, Senior Philip DeTrana, a valedictorian and two-sport varsity athlete said, Flex Mod is an excellent solution for those who need to be productive with their time both in and outside of school. Being an athlete takes away hours out of one’s schedule for practice and competition, and while in school with the previous scheduling time was not used efficiently while in class. Flex Mod is the alternative, where teachers teach what needs to be taught, and students then complete most of the work outside of the classroom during free time in their day, thus making them as productive as possible.” Being a student athlete has to be one of the most strenuous roles in the school for the mere reasons that one wants to thrive in both areas, however it is difficult for many to keep class work and studies a priority when you may not get home from a meet, game or competition until late at night, and have a test the next day first thing in the morning. With Flex Mod, like DeTrana said, ample time is given to those who are caught in this situation, allowing them to keep up with both their classes and their extracurriculars. As Flex Mod is seen as a positive asset to the students, parents of students and members of the community are also peaking interest when they are told about the many important lessons it is teaching to prepare and educate South’s young minds for whatever their future may hold. Parent of two students at South, Laura Kittelson is a very strong advocate for the system and believes the schedule-change has done nothing but benefit the lives of her sons attending South High School. Kittelson voiced her opinions on Flex Mod by stating, “I think Flex Mod was a lifesaver for our younger son. Flex Mod also allowed him to take higher-level classes that might not have been offered to him under the traditional class schedule. Furthermore, Flex Mod has allowed him to take two classes that occur during the same time periods. This ‘conflict’ that so many see as a negative with Flex Mod has allowed him to take both classes rather than being forced to choose one of the two. It’s a bit of juggling, but given the flexibility built into the daily schedule for him to work with teachers in resource rooms, he’s been able to juggle the two classes and still keep up. This simply wouldn’t have been possible with the traditional schedule.” The system has many parents like Kittelson interested in seeing this schedule continue and how it prepares the students who are lucky enough to benefit from  the schedule. Although many are pleased with this scheduling system, the transition to Flex Mod has not been easy for some students, and the school is well aware of those who are struggling. What the community needs to know is that the school is doing their best to make this transition easier for them, however, with the struggle comes the need for a student’s desire to succeed. South’s principal, Mr. Michael Trimberger, believes strongly that Flex Mod is preparing students for the real world and giving the students graduating from South in these next couple years a distinct advantage after they walk the Bowl. I know that this change has been difficult, and not so easy for a certain group of students here at South and I do take it personally, I think there are some adults as well who are struggling but with this, I believe it makes all of us work harder to make this school a responsive school to take pride in. We are understanding of the obstacles it has brought, but we are choosing to focus on bringing students back into it. If you’re failing classes, get help, there has never been a time in this school’s history where you have had more opportunities and or time to get help. If you’re having troubles on understanding why we did this, or struggling, I encourage you to come see me. My door is always open for South’s students,” stated Trimberger. He and the rest of the administrative team do their best to keep students in believing they are a part of, as he always says, the “best school in the universe,” throughout the changes South is undergoing. Flex Mod is changing the face and the inner structure of South High, for a more obvious and clear reason than hurting the lives of students attending. Sophomore Blake Posewitz said, “High school is more than academic learning, but also learning life skills and how to handle the real world gaining knowledge on time management which is what Flex Mod allows each of us to practice.”  Posewitz and others recognize the real life setting before them, knowing that their future will not have a 7 hour clock and schedule telling them where to go at a given time. The lesson of self-reliance Flex Mod is teaching the present and future classes of South High is what will give Redwings the distinct advantage after graduation, and for their future plans after high school. Flex Mod was not expected to be a perfect change without kinks or issues–there are problems with the system, some that have already been resolved and others that are getting better one day, week, month, and semester at a time.  But this does not give the community a right to give up on the hope of all the lessons that Flex Mod is teaching to produce more productive, accountable young men and women. Instead of raising questions of what is going on beyond the walls of Sheboygan South and focusing on “Flex Mod’s Mixed Reviews, and More F’s”, we must realize and pay respect to the caring administration and faculty who brought this system upon the students for the well-being of our future, and most importantly the students who are thriving in this system we like to call Flex Mod.