Spring Sports Starting

Zoe Schrameyer

Though spring does not feel like it is in the air, spring sports are upon us especially with a snow day in March! Due to cold weather, many of the sports still have to practice inside and due to limited gym space, some sports are having to practice into the late hours of the night. “I don’t like that practice runs from 7:30-9:30 at night,” says Senior Aaron Gutierrez about baseball practice, “but the practices are beneficial because coaches interact with you on game-like situations.” Though sports of all kinds are tough work, the coaches are always doing drill and exercises to benefit the players. Sophomore Samantha Kuehl continues on how her softball coaches help her improve her skills, “I don’t like running at the end of practice but I like how the coaches care about your performance and they actually try to help.” Like many this year, Senior Tatum Spevacek has tried out a new sport. “I love that I get to try new things. When I first joined track, I thought I would just be running, but I soon found out that there is so much more to track than just running, so I joined pole-vaulting and it was one of the best decisions I have ever made!” High school is all about the experience, and trying new things, like new sports, can be a neat and beneficial way to make the high school experience the best it can be. Junior Caitlyn Cobb states, “My favorite part about practice is spending time with my friends. I think we all love what we do so it’s really fun to get caught in the moment with them and enjoy it so much. My least favorite part about practice would probably be when people are complaining and talking when they’re not supposed to, and then we end up running which is not fun.” A few sports, such as trap shooting and golf, are unable to practice inside due to the amount of space they need. Freshman Tyler Krebsbach says, he loves hanging out with his friends on the team but sometimes the weather can get in the way. “I don’t like it when the weather isn’t nice and we have to practice outside,” says Krebsbach. The show, or season, must go on despite the weather inconveniences. Redwings are working hard, inside and outside, for the last season of the 2015-2016 school year. Whether it’s boys golf, baseball, softball, girls soccer, trap, or track, these Redwings are ready to come out with pride.