A Change for All

Mario Mendez

With the end of a semester coming to a close, it is great to look back at the memories made as well as consider how such things have been different over the past school year. Flex-Mod is definitely one of those changes that impacted the way which students at Sheboygan South High School interacted with their friends and teachers for better or for worse. Yet, it was difficult for some to accommodate and embrace the changes which in turn made the periods of lunch and homeroom become tough to manage as one had to constantly follow their schedule to stay on task within school grounds. That is about to change as next semester the introduction of the new Homeroom/Lunch Period system comes into place thanks to the school administration that worked diligently to implement this said change. What is this subject being talked about? Well, during one of the most recent Homeroom periods the matter was briefly talked about by Assistant Principal Kevin Formolo and Dean Of Students Josh Kestell as the students would be given lunch and homeroom times that would occur later in the day, specifically the times from 11:00 am through 12:00 pm. Furthermore, the first half hour would be Homeroom for Juniors and Seniors while Freshmen and Sophomores ate lunch, then the roles would reverse. Wednesday would be the only day that all four grades eat together in a combined lunch lasting for  forty-five minutes from 10:45 am to 11:30 pm. For some this may come as a shock which may be difficult to react to, but for others it is a sign of relief that feels like a breath of fresh air that brings opportunities to the table.

Screen Shot 2016-01-04 at 8.40.58 AM
Above is the Flex-Mod schedule showing the times in which Freshmen and Sophomores are to be at lunch while Junior and Seniors are at Homeroom. It can be noted Wednesday is the only combined lunch spanning from 10:45 AM to 11:30 AM.

Through his explanation of the modification, Assistant Principal Kevin Formolo expressed,“The elected officials of all four grades unanimously said that it would be great and have a set lunch that would be appropriate that it was alternating with homeroom. They like the idea the ninth and tenth graders eat together and Juniors and Seniors eat together. So, at least there is more of a chance to be with your friends.” It only seems fair for both students and staff to benefit from the curriculum Sheboygan South High School has been pushing for, and the best manner to do it is by allowing there to be a space in the schedule for both parties to gather their strengths and rest. Teachers now would no longer need to ask students to bring their lunch in during a class and students would not have a significant conflict with a class concerning lunch time as well as socialize with their friends. Thus, the Flex-Mod schedule becomes evermore improved and enters a more comfortable phase. The hope is for all students to adjust without difficulty to be motivated to enhance their academic abilities through the interaction of friends during lunch and better communication with the Homeroom instructors. The success that arises from this pilot would carry over to the next school year affirms Assistant Principal Formolo. Students should find this as a positive change that benefits students and teachers rather than simply solving holes in the Flex-Mod schedule. After all, the 2015-2016 school year is the true test and determinant of Flex-Mod, including this major change. 

Photo Provided By: Assistant Principal Kevin Formolo