Hello 2016!

Hello+2016%21

Mariana Perez

img_0387
You can pick up your last minute decorations to ring in the New Year at Walgreens and other locations around town.

As 2015 comes to an end we can not help but reminisce in all the good memories this year has brought. This past year has brought countless memories for the Redwing student body, from prom 2015 to the graduating class of 2015, to most recently homecoming 2015, among many others.We all have a unique way to start of the year, Senior Angela Landgraf states, “I am going polar bearing!” The polar bear plunge is when a group of people go to an icy body of water, in our case lake michigan, and take a swim to celebrate the new year. While some are adventurous and take on the challenge of the polar bear plunge others of us hurry to write a list or maybe even lists of what our new year’s resolutions will be. On the people surveyed 45.2% say they make new year’s resolutions. Sophomore Angela Yang shares, ”Some of my new year’s resolutions include, managing my time better and make everyday different from the last.”   While Senior Autumn Weimann says, “My new year’s resolution is to be ready for college.” We all have different new year’s resolution and we all hope to accomplish them throughout the course of the upcoming year. Some students say they like to spend new year’s eve with their family while others like spending it with friends. Regardless of where you are on new year’s eve we can find different traditions. Sophomore Nikolas Mersberger shares, “As a new year’s tradition we eat pickled herring and crackers.” Junior Emily Paltzer states, “One tradition we have is that we play Monopoly all night long.” Senior Ligibett DIaz also shares, “One of my family traditions on new year’s is to eat 12 grapes at the strike of midnight. Each grape you eat symbolizes a lucky month you’ll have the upcoming year.” Among these unique traditions is the most common tradition among the Redwing community which is watching the ball drop when the clock strikes at midnight. As Author Sara Ban Breathnach once said, “New Year’s Day, a fresh start, a new chapter in life waiting to be written. New questions to be asked, embraced, and loved. Answers to be discovered and then lived in this transformative year of delight and self-discovery.” Every year is different but with 2016 right around the corner we all get a fresh start. New years is the time for life changing decisions. It is a major event in most people’s lives, where we all have that positive outlook to meet whatever fate may lay ahead of us this upcoming year. We will hit bumps along the year but we should always remember to keep in mind all the good memories too. This year can open new doors for some us. Always work hard to achieve your goals and do not give up, take risks, make every memory count. From the LakeBreeze Publications staff we all wish you a Happy New Year! Photo By: Mariana Perez