Fixing Flex Mod

This is the proposed lunch/homeroom schedule for the second semester. The schedule will eliminate lunch conflicts.

Natalie Binversie, Editor in Chief

South High entered a new schedule this year, Flex Mod, and with the change in scheduling comes a lot of issues and problems that need to be dealt with. In the last year, we have switched from a 7-period day to Flex Mod, allowed scanning in for attendance, switched grading programs, and added the LGI to our building. There is always room for improvement, and at the beginning of the second quarter those improvements will start to go into effect. “Some students will be receiving new schedules starting on November 9 that are putting kids in a quieter, more structured study hall that will hopefully help them be successful”, stated Associate Principal Kevin Formolo. Beginning with the second quarter, students who have less than a 2.0 GPA will be placed in Guided Study Hall and resource rooms to help them succeed in their school work. The commons will be more of a privilege that students will have to work for to be able to visit.

Lunch and homeroom are going to experience some changes at the beginning of second semester. There will be a set lunch hour for each grade level, and homeroom will be divided into two parts-one for juniors and seniors and one for sophomores and freshmen. “Having two set lunches again will eliminate conflicts with lunch and another class,” explained Formolo. While the freshmen and sophomores have lunch, the juniors and seniors will be in homeroom, and when the juniors and seniors are eating lunch, the freshmen and sophomores will have homeroom. Teachers are also working on making improvements for next semester and the coming years, as Social Studies Teacher Erik Wagner explained, “I plan to have a slightly different schedule second semester. I had medium groups Monday and Wednesday and small groups Tuesday and Friday.  I am changing that to medium groups Monday and Friday and small groups Tuesday and Thursday.  I am also adding several smaller discussion groups Wednesday.” With feedback from his students, Wagner was able to plan schedule that will benefit as many students as possible. “Flex mod has given me the opportunity to set up courses to fit the students’ needs instead of setting up courses to fit into a regimented schedule,” Wagner stated. Instead of fitting his classes into a seven-period day, he is able to have flexibility in the way he structures the course to hopefully improve his students’ learning experience. “I 100% believe that this is the way we need to go,” exclaimed Formolo. We are all learning how to make Flex Mod work for us, and as we get used to the new scheduling, tweaks will need to be made.