Chromebooks; Two Months In

Natalie Binversie, Editor in Chief

image1At the beginning of the school year, all South students that preregistered were given a Chromebook to use for homework and class activities. It has been two months since then; how is the school adjusting? Sophomore Kylie Mallmann was hesitant to try the Chromebooks, “The only thing I was looking forward to was checking my grades easily”, she said. Mallmann did not like the idea of having Chromebooks. She went on to explain why, “I need to be able to write out my assignments and have my textbook in my hands.” Not everyone feels that way though, Junior Rachel Schleicher explained why she likes them, “There is a lot less stuff to carry.” Many teachers have used the Chromebooks to supplement or even replace their textbooks, and students have begun to take notes on a Google Document instead of writing them by hand. Some teachers use the Chromebooks every day in class, some use them for assessments, and some don’t use them at all. Pete Peterson, a Social Studies teacher here at South, said, “My students’ use of them varies from class to class. My AP Government classes use them every day, and the rest of my classes use them most days. I’m glad my students are able to have this exposure to technology.” Technology is great-when it works. Mallmann hasn’t enjoyed the Chromebooks, but with good reason, “I’ve had three loaners to replace my Chromebook because mine doesn’t work!” Mallmann exclaimed. There is a Chromebook Help Desk in the library to help with technical issues, but solutions may not always be immediate. Hence, the loaners. Loaner Chromebooks are available to use while yours is being fixed. Most people would agree that there are improvements that can be made. Nothing is perfect, and South’s new technology is no exception. The Chromebooks have been a big change for everyone, and transition is not going smoothly for everyone. “I want to change everything about my Chromebook. It hasn’t done anything to improve my learning”, Mallmann remarked. “I wish we didn’t have to rely on the Internet all the time”, Schleicher added. The Internet is necessary for almost everything on the Chromebooks, and not having a wireless connection makes it really hard to do any homework for the next day. However, when everything is working it is hard to say things like ‘my dog ate my homework.’ Even last year’s most creative excuses are invalid. “It’s a lot harder for my students to come up with excuses about why they didn’t do their homework”, Peterson agreed. We now have a lot of our work at our fingertips, and fewer excuses. Many students have also been using their Chromebooks for social media as well as- or instead of- their school work. “The Chromebooks can also teach students responsibility. They need to decide for themselves whether they are going to be on Facebook or be active in class”, Peterson explained. South has worked hard to follow the Redwing Way and balance our time between work and play. The Chromebooks have provided us with a wonderful opportunity, and as we learn more about them, we can continue to be successful.