What Happened to Senior Pranks?

Hallie Theune, Writer

The last day of school for seniors can be chaotic for the rest of the student body and administration alike. Everyone is on edge waiting to see what pranks will be pulled by the seniors who are leaving behind the school that they spent the last four years in. However, restrictions have been noticeably put it place, and South High seniors are advised against pulling pranks thought to be traditionally funny. This has caused senior pranks to become less of a tradition at South.

Everyone has different ideas of pranks that are both appropriate and humorous. Most students explain that the best prank is one that is funny but harmless. Freshman Quentin Keller explained that, in his opinion,

“The best senior prank is letting pigs run around the school.” This is a prank that many students find funny as it causes chaos but makes the day more interesting and fun as something as unusual as a farm animal can be found walking the halls. Others stray from the animal idea, believing something simple but humorous is appropriate. Junior Genita Luma stated that to her, the best senior prank is,

“Having a mariachi band follow our principal around the school all day.” Although this has the potential to cross the line depending on the principal, it a simple idea of something that isn’t necessarily destructive, which is why most would see it as acceptable.

When it comes to a member of administration, Assistant Principal Kevin Formolo described his point of view by stating that he would prefer no pranks at all. However, he explained that the best senior prank would be,

“Something that is tasteful, classy, and clever. A prank should be done in fashion, rather than a blatant act of disrespect to a school that has given the class, groups, and individuals so much over the past four years. A good prank leaves people smiling and laughing, not cursing and annoyed.” This is an understandable viewpoint when considering harmful pranks. If something is funny yet doesn’t put stress on anyone, it can surely be enjoyed by all.

One senior prank pulled on June 1st, students mock Physical Education teacher Mr. Peter Toutenhoofd’s 1997 senior picture. This is one example of a tasteful yet humorous prank.

In recent years, seniors have been allowed only to have a small celebration in which they spend the day outside, enjoying food and grilling out. The seniors have also used toy water guns and squirted the rest of the students as they come and go from school. Although many students see this as an easygoing joke, it too has been controversial in situations where items have potential to be damaged by water from the squirt guns.

This small permitted celebration has been allowed by administration in past years, and leaves the school community wondering what happened to the way senior pranks used to be executed. Administration has threatened seniors that their privilege of walking in the graduation ceremony at the Vollrath Bowl will be taken away if they pull a prank deemed deserving of this consequence. This potential consequence is the reason why traditional senior pranks have been scared into disappearance. Although it has stopped seniors from pulling pranks in the past, it is still controversial and students often reason against the validity of the consequence.

In the opinion of a student, Senior James Thone explained why he doesn’t believe the consequence is appropriate. He stated,

“We work all of our child lives to be able to walk across the bowl physically and symbolically. One prank should not justify the revocation of this honor.” This speaks for many of the students at South who agree and would like to pull minor pranks to have fun at the end of their senior year of high school. To contrast this point, Formolo deemed the consequence appropriate, explaining,

“Graduation a demonstration of positive citizenship. Doing something other than what is expected should not be given attention.” It is clear to see that the privilege of walking as a part of the graduation ceremony is not guaranteed to everyone. Another staff member, Ms. Tess Larson stated her opinion, saying,

“Walking the bowl is not a right, but a privilege. A degree or diploma may not be taken away, but the right to walk across the stage seems to be a fair punishment.” While many students still challenge this consequence, it stands. The point for this is for seniors to steer clear of destructive and harmful pranks, and stick to clever and tasteful ones. Everyone will inevitably have different opinions of pranks, but there is great hope in the community that both current seniors and seniors in classes to come with finish off their high school careers with class.